From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and glibc won't build on my new install
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 04:36:08
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Your current profile looks good (it's a current 10th anniversary
3 > amd64 profile and isn't no-multilib), but you didn't mistakenly try a no-
4 > multilib version and compile some bits of the toolchain, did you?
5
6 Hey Duncan, thanks for the amazingly rapid reply! I'm just now getting
7 around to trying some of this out (busy work week!) I definitely didn't
8 choose the no-multilib tool chain itself, but I did try out the "server"
9 [rofile. Was that potentially my mistake (i.e., is the "server" profile
10 non-multilib?)
11
12 > Hmm, kernel config! You have 32-bit executable format turned on in the
13 > kernel, right? That's under Executable file formats / Emulations, IA32
14 > Emulation. (It's not emulation, but anyway...) If that's it, you're not
15 > the first one that's messed up, and probably won't be the last, either.
16
17 Well, I'm on the livecd. I assume that the live CD kernel has the 32-bit
18 format enabled, otherwise how would you do what I'm trying to do? I did
19 build 32-bit into the kernel that I made, but I haven't booted into that
20 kernel yet since I can't build grub :)
21
22 > I haven't messed with VMs here (my machine doesn't have the hardware
23 > extensions, and I haven't particularly needed a slower software-only a VM
24 > for anything, so...), so I know not what if any options may need enabled
25 > there, in either the host or the VM. If it's related to that, you'll
26 > need to find help from someone else.
27
28 I'd be surprised if this has something to do with virtualization, but
29 hey, you could be right!
30
31 > One other possibility to try is FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox.
32 > Multilib profiles include sandboxing libs for both 32-bit and 64-bit as
33 > well, and sometimes it's simply the 32-bit side of that which gets
34 > screwed up. Of course, building sandbox requires 32-bit as well, but if
35 > it's just the 32-bit sandbox libs that are screwed,t then bypassing them
36 > to remerge sandbox itself will work, and hopefully the newly built
37 > sandbox will be functional. If that fails with 32-bit errors as well,
38 > the problem is deeper in your toolchain, likely a screwed-up 32-bit gcc,
39 > or possibly a screwed-up 32-bit glibc. It can also be binutils.
40
41 Unfortunately, an emerge -e world fails, which should build gcc, glibc,
42 and binutils in the correct order. I'll give the sandbox trick a whirl.
43
44 Thanks for the reply, and I'll be sure to keep the list updated with my
45 findings!