From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc 4.1.1 access violation
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 05:04:37
1 "Harry Holt" <harryholt@×××××.com> posted
2 7c8072a00610271620o15838e70of02ad445af47849d@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:20:39 -0400:
4
5 > Arrgh! It did it again! I have no idea how to fix this. GCC will not
6 > compile. Well... I think it compiles, but then dies at the end. I tried
7 > running through the install/postinst/qmerge steps in ebuild, but that
8 > doesn't seem to work (everything is still broken). revdep-rebuild wants
9 > to emerge GCC first - there are several things broken, including
10 > libfbdirect.
11 >
12 > gzipping man page: std::wstring.3
13 > gzipping man page: _var_tmp_portage_gcc-4.1.1_work_gcc-4.1.1_.3
14 >>>> Completed installing gcc-4.1.1 into /var/tmp/portage/gcc-4.1.1/image/
15
16 OK, yes, it finishes the "fakeinstall" step here, which is after the
17 compile step, so it's done with that.
20 > --------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY
21 > ---------------------------
22 > LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-sys-devel_-_gcc-4.1.1-30225.log"
23 >
24 > unlink: /usr/lib64/crt1.o
25 > open_wr: /usr/lib64/crt1.o
26 > unlink: /usr/lib64/crt1.o
27 > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28
29 Sandbox violation. Sandbox is a protection mechanism that is supposed to
30 keep the ebuild from overwriting anything on the main system during the
31 compile and install steps, which should be done to temporary locations,
32 prior to the qmerge to the main system.
33
34 $equery b crt1.o
35 [ Searching for file(s) crt1.o in *... ]
36 sys-libs/glibc-2.5 (/usr/lib32/crt1.o)
37 sys-libs/glibc-2.5 (/usr/lib64/crt1.o)
38
39 OK, so that file belongs to glibc, not gcc. Why is gcc trying to unlink
40 it, then write to it, then unlink it again? That's strange.
41
42 You /could/ try turning sandbox off (in FEATURES). That's a bit dangerous
43 by itself, but if you turn userpriv on at the same time, it should be
44 fairly safe. YOu can try it but I'm guessing it'll still fail, as the
45 portage user won't (for good reason!) have privs to delete the file either.
46
47 If userpriv doesn't work, you can try without either sandbox or userpriv,
48 just to be sure. HOWEVER, I'd be very sure I had a backup of that file
49 and preferably my system first, just in case. Additionally, messing with
50 glibc stuff is asking to see your system crash, so I'd not recommend
51 running anything else critical during this test. Actually, I'd not
52 recommend running it at all, without first checking bugzilla and filing a
53 bug on it if necessary. If a toolchain/gcc dev tells you to try it without
54 sandbox and userpriv, /then/ I'd feel a bit safer with it. I might
55 personally try it here anyway, but I wouldn't feel right recommending that
56 others try it.
57
58 In any case, even if FEATURES="-sandbox userpriv" works, it's still worth
59 checking to see if a bug has been filed and filing one yourself if not.
60 If it's OK to do, the devs might simply disable sandbox checking for that
61 file. However, that doesn't look to me like something it should be
62 touching, in which case they need to figure out why it's happening and fix
63 the problem, so others don't run into it.
68 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
71 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list