From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:46:29
1 On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:09:41 +0100
2 Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at> wrote:
3
4 > I mean,
5 > how do you get the code of your forked bashes away from your cpu
6 > cache to have it free for kernel code?
7
8 Forked bash's all use the same image so don't stress the on-chip
9 instruction cache any more than one bash does. You do lose memory for
10 the data needed for each bash, of course - hence the loss of at least
11 one page per process. However unless you actually start swapping to
12 disc (which won't happen if Duncan has no swap set up :) ) this isn't a
13 problem.
14
15 > A long time ago . . ., I was testing some CFLAGS on my own programs.
16 > I wrote a fast-fourier algorithm myself, only to see the "impressive"
17 > difference between Os, O3 and some other optimisation flags. I fed my
18 > fast-fourier algorithm with a large amount of input. But no matter
19 > how hard I tried to get it faster by changing the flags, it didn't
20 > work. The difference is marginal and not every flag brings
21 > improvement for every program. The only thing that changed a lot was
22 > the time gcc needs to perform those optimisations.
23
24 I'd guess that your FFT was spending most of its time in unavoidable
25 floating point ops which may explain how various options made little
26 difference.
27
28 You're right of course - in the end the only way to find out what's
29 actually fastest on a given machine is to try various flags and see
30 what happens. Multiple level caches, long instruction pipelines,
31 paging architecture an a myriad of other things all go to make it
32 difficult to predict exactly what will and won't be faster.
35 P.S. When replying to Duncan's extensive posts, could we trim parts
36 that aren't relevant to the reply?
39 Kevin F. Quinn