From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Another package that doesn't like GCC 4
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:05:11
1 On Thursday 23 November 2006 12:58, Jan Jitse Venselaar wrote:
2
3 > ... have you benchmarked in any way the effect of all these
4 > optimizations on the programs you run? You basically do -Os and then turn
5 > almost everything on which differs -O2 from -Os, negating the size
6 > difference, plus some extra very experimental flags, which might increase
7 > or decrease performance (sorry, but GCC works that way, extra
8 > optimizations could actually be pessimizations), and probably break some
9 > programs.
10
11 You may have seen some discussion of compiler optimisations on this list, in
12 which a set of flags have been offered and some people have played with
13 them. I thought I'd have a go, and was reporting what I'd found. In light
14 of what you say, I think I'll just go back to a simple set of flags
15 (-march=k8 -Os -pipe) and leave it at that. And no, I hadn't noticed any
16 performance improvement with all those flags - another good reason for
17 reverting. Better, probably. Thanks for the advice.
20 Rgds
21 Peter
22 --
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list