From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] how to track down strange bug
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:01:35
1 Florian D. wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have been hitting by a bug for ages, which I want to get rid of
4 > eventually ;)
5 >
6 > It is not possible for me to watch TV via xawtv, while doing IO
7 > intensive tasks in the background. In the majority of cases, it suffices
8 > to copy a, say, 50MB file from my USB-stick to the harddisk to freeze my
9 > amd64 machine (but, funny enough, the sound is playing further on).
10
11 It is quite important that you use dma accelerated tv out. Especially
12 with xawtv as it doesn't do postprocessing this should work until you
13 saturise your pci bus. The freezing thing however suggests that dma is
14 not enabled for your harddisk which is an even bigger performance issue.
15 Make sure you have the right drivers in your kernel, or loaded as module.
16
17 Paul
18 --
19 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list