From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] bcm43xx setup
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:58:12
1 Beso wrote:
2 > from dmesg i can see that you get no firmware error so your chip loads it
3 > well.
4 > from pci id and chip detection i can see that your chip is:
5 > 4306 PCI/Cardbus Supported
6 > for what i've seen it seems that you have an amilo1650 which has an annoying
7 > radio switch to turn on. the fsaa1655g does the trick for mine laptop. but i
8 > think that you would use that radio switch with ndiswrapper too. if it's not
9 > the case then i'd need to have some more info. do a dmesg > dmesg.txt and
10 > append it. then do a cat /var/log/messages > message.txt and append it too.
11 > it seems that there's something happening when loading the module.
12 > the wext module is a misunderstood. i should have define it better: its not
13 > a kernel module, but it stands for linux Wireless EXTenensions. i've called
14 > it module doing a bad thing for you've nisunderstood. so you won't see it in
15 > the lsmod simply because it's not a kernel module.
16 > the wlan0 has wireless extensions but you have some problems with the core
17 > going up. so the interface you'd use is wlan0. the problem is that bcm43xx
18 > module fails to startup the core and keeps the wireless channel off. so we
19 > have to first see what happens when it tries to load the module and know why
20 > it doesn't start.
21 > and there would also be a good thing doing a lspci and then find the slot of
22 > your broadcom board and do a lspci -vs the slot number.
23 > here i give you an example:
24 > this is part of lspci output:
25 >
26 >> 08:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
27 >> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
28 >>
29 > and this is lspci -vs 08:0d.0 output:
30 >
31 >> 08:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
32 >> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
33 >> Subsystem: Fujitsu Siemens Computer GmbH Unknown device 10a4
34 >> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
35 >> I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
36 >> Memory at c0210800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
37 >> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
40 > i'd like to know if lspci detects the same board as does the bcm driver.
41 > so, in conclusion: i need a full dmesg output, the kernel log, lspci verbose
42 > on the slot of your broadcom board and to know if you have some software
43 > wireless switch (that normally were included into fujitsu notebooks).
48 Well, I gotta tell ya, I don't know if somehow I missed this, or I tried
49 this command in the wrong place orwhat, but it works now. I had tried
50 'iwconfig wlan0 up' and that didn't work and I was almost certain I had
51 tried 'ifconfig wlan0 up' and THAT didn't work either.
52
53 However, I re-tried the ifconfig command and it worked this time. I can
54 now scan the wireless network in my office and everything looks really
55 good at this point. I do appreciate the help you've given me, Beso, I
56 certainly hope I can return the favor in the future.
60 Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
63 Mark Haney
64 Sr. Systems Administrator
65 ERC Broadband
66 (828) 350-2415
67
68 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
69 --
70 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list