From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] LVM2 Failures
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:20:42
1 On Monday 05 March 2007, Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] LVM2 Failures':
3 > Does anybody know what happens if an LVM2 physical volume fails?
4 > Obviously any data on that physical volume is lost, and I'd imagine any
5 > logical volumes that reside in part or whole on that physical volume
6 > would be a mess.
7
8 Right on both counts (assuming you haven't mirrored those extents to a
9 non-failed pv).
10
11 > What happens to logical volumes in the same volume group which do not
12 > reside on the lost physical volume? Are they easily recovered?
13
14 Yes. Simply activate your vg and lvs in partial mode (-P) and you will
15 have (at least) full read access to any lvs that do not have any extents
16 on the failed pv.
17
18 > How
19 > about logical volumes in a different volume group - are those affected
20 > at all? I didn't see any documentation on this topic on the lvm2 HOWTO.
21
22 No, vgs do not interact with one another. All vgs without any failed pvs
23 will behave completely normally. [Well, assuming the failed disk isn't
24 mucking up other things; like hanging the bus or whotnot.]
25
26 > Ideally I'd like to use lvm2 with the new drive.
27
28 LVM is nearly always a good choice, which is has been the default on
29 commercial unixes for a while.
30
31 > I'm trying to avoid RAID as I have a small collection of hard drives at
32 > this point and in order to set up RAID I'd need to toss just about all
33 > of them since they're of various sizes/speeds/etc.
34
35 Ooooor....
36
37 Set up two (or 3 or 4) vgs that are roughly the same size (summed over all
38 their constituent pvs). Make a single lv on each and have all those lvs
39 be the same size. THEN, use software RAID 1 (or 5 or 6) on top of LVM.
40 (I'm not sure where mirroring support is on LVM2 -- it may be a viable
41 replacement for RAID 1 on top of LVM and it would simplify this setup
42 greatly.)
43
44 (Linux block devices are quite flexible in how they let you (ab)use them.)
47 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
48 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
49 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
50 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
51 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!