From: Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Fragmentation (Was: Re: Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:20:01
1 Hello,
2 I to have noticed a 'slowing' affect. Naturally I dismissed
3 fragmentation. Is this 'normal' and fixable?
4
5 On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:54 +0100, David Guerizec wrote:
6 > Hello,
7 >
8 > Le Lundi 06 Février 2006 19:50, Duncan a écrit :
9 > > Fragmentation doesn't tend to be as much of an issue on Linux, with "real"
10 > > filesystems, as on MSWormOS, particularly FAT/FAT32. I'm running all
11 > > reiserfs here, FWIW. It doesn't have a compaction tool (defrag, on
12 > > MSWormOS), but I've not noticed any issues as a result.
13 >
14 > Fragmentation seems to be a myth for anyone on Linux, and I was enclined to
15 > believe that myth until I started to use Gentoo.
16 >
17 > At first, a brand new gentoo system is fast, but after a few months and a
18 > dozen emerge -uDN world, things tend to slow down to a point that is barely
19 > acceptable. In fact, the first time I tought that maybe I installed too many
20 > things, and that my system was crippled with cruft.
21 > But then I had to repartition my hard drive, so I made a backup (tar zcvpf) of
22 > my different partitions, fdisk, mkfs, and tar zxvpf.
23 > The system was exactly the same as before, just the partition size had
24 > changed.
25 > But then emerge -S was much faster than before the operation, as well as
26 > common portage operations.
27 >
28 > Since then, I've tried to do the same on several servers, without the fdisk
29 > operation, just tar cp, mkfs, tar xp, and I've always noticed an appreciable
30 > speedup.
31 >
32 > The only explanation that comes from this experiment is fragmentation.
33 > And I think Gentoo is more sensible to fragmentation than binary distributions
34 > because it has to deal with many small files, often changing, during
35 > compilation and rsynchronisation.
36 >
37 > So the directories sensible to fragmentation are IMHO, /var/tmp
38 > and /usr/portage, and they are the ones to put on different partitions.
39 >
40 > Now, I don't have exact numbers to prove my sayings, but anyone can make the
41 > test themself, if they already have /var/tmp and/or /usr/portage on separate
42 > partitions.
43 >
44 > I didn't have time yet to sort out what kind of filesystem is more or less
45 > sensible to fragmentation, but from my experience, ext[23] is not a good
46 > candidate for /var/tmp or /usr/postage. Reiser3 has proven to fragment too,
47 > and one of the last system I installed was formated with XFS, which I will
48 > "defragment" in a few weeks. Hopefully I could then come with numbers.
49 >
50 > BTW, does someone know of a tools to show the fragmentation level of a *nix
51 > filesystem ?
52 >
53 > David
59 Dr Gavin Seddon
60 School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
61 University of Manchester
62 Oxford Road, Manchester
63 M13 9PL, U.K.
67 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list