From: "John C. Shimek" <jcshimek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --emptytree problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:03:49
1 I remember having problems with java and perl dependencies on the Gentoo
2 1.4 I think it was. I don't remember exactly what being 2 years ago and
3 that being my very first experience to Gentoo. I thought it had been
4 fixed but I don't know anymore. Setting -java in the USE flags was my
5 work around too and I have not had any problems. I have since added it
6 back in. It was just required for the initial build for me.
7
8 John C. Shimek
9
10 Duncan wrote:
11
12 >Mark posted <1f81f7e0050710155471f76f63@××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
13 >on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:54:37 -0400:
17 >>Well, I *think* I have it figured out. After setting up the logging, I
18 >>fired up the build again, and when it finally failed, there was a message
19 >>"you need perl 5" during the openssl package install. So I tried emerging
20 >>perl by itself, and it fails because the java ebuild was not in the
21 >>portage directory. So I changed java in my USE= list to -java, and
22 >>restarted the build. So far, it's going well. My question I guess is, did
23 >>I come up with the right solution, or will having -java in my USE= list
24 >>cause me problems later on?
28 >As Jared says, nothing in the system or normal non-system core packages
29 >require Java (save for OOo, which might, I know the 2.x versions do, if
30 >you call that "core" for your use). USE=-java /does/ speed up gcc compile
31 >time in particular, and as long as you don't have any specific packages in
32 >your personal "must-have" list that are Java based, it should be fine.
33 >
34 >For this reason, it's likely many/most devs and list regulars have
35 >USE=-java, so system building with +java is likely far less tested than
36 >with -java. It's quite possible there's some circular dependency issue
37 >involving the java USE flag, that simply hasn't been discovered yet, for
38 >that reason. Once you get your USE=-java emerge --emptytree completed, if
39 >desired, you can probably reactivate USE=java and do an emerge --newuse,
40 >with no further issues. If indeed that's the case, and you feel like
41 >pursuing the issue far enough to file a decent bug report on whatever
42 >circular dependency was killing the emerge --emptytree, with USE=java,
43 >it's quite likely the devs involved would be appreciative, as those
44 >circular dependency issues can be tough to track down, as well as
45 >challenging to resolve, but doing so results in a much more dependable
46 >Gentoo.
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list