From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: early boot failure, not sure how to diagnose
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:40:55
1 Daiajo Tibdixious posted on Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:43:24 +1000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I got new hardware for a home desktop a few days ago.
4 > Downloaded install-amd64-minimal-20130801.iso and am still booting from
5 > that cd as hard drive boot fails.
6 >
7 > I turned on logging in /etc/rc.conf, but no /var/log/rc.log is produced.
8 > The disks are mounted but readonly. I guess from this the problem is
9 > occurring before the root partition is mounted.
10
11 [Please turn off the HTML.]
12
13 If it's mounting the partitions, it can't be before root is mounted. I
14 assume you meant before root is /remounted/ using the options set in
15 fstab...
16
17 > I only have 4 partitions: boot, swap, root, and home. Since everything
18 > important is on the root partition, I'm not using an initramfs.
19
20 > I have many times tried to catch the error by watching the screen, but
21 > it scrolls past way to fast.
22 > The last part of the boot messages before things go crazy is "Switching
23 > to clocksource TSC".
24 >
25 > I've been reading up on grub, but don't see anyway to get more info on
26 > what is going wrong.
27
28 If the kernel is loading, grub's activating it just fine, so the
29 problem's elsewhere. Further, if root is getting mounted and the display
30 is working, that means you have at least the drivers necessary to read
31 the disk and the filesystem drivers, plus those for the display,
32 configured correctly in your kernel.
33
34 > If I boot from the cd and chroot to the disk, everything seems to work
35 > fine. /boot is ext2 fs and this is my grug.conf:
36
37 > default 0
38 > timeout 20
39 > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
40 >
41 > title Gentoo Linux 3.8.13
42 > root (hd0,0)
43 > kernel /boot/3.8/13-0/bzImage root=/dev/sda3
44
45 Do you get a shell prompt at all, or does it quite before that? If you
46 get a shell prompt, does it react to key presses or is the keyboard
47 unresponsive?
48
49 What happens if you add init=/bin/bash ? Does /that/ get you a shell
50 prompt? (That should boot directly to bash instead of to init/openrc, so
51 it's a good way to correct problems with them if you can get to it. Of
52 course you'll have to do whatever init you need manually, from there.
53 No /proc/ mounted for you or anything, at that stage.)
54
55 Do you get any hint that it can load userspace at all? If the
56 init=/bin/bash trick doesn't work, perhaps glibc is messed up, as that'd
57 screw both bash and the normal init. It could also be that it's mounting
58 the wrong partition -- if it mounted /home as /, for instance, it
59 obviously wouldn't be able to find bash or init to start, let alone the
60 libraries they load.
61
62 If you have a cellphone or can otherwise take a picture, you could upload
63 that to a pastebin site or something and post a link to that (or simply
64 attach the image if this list doesn't filter them, I'm honestly not
65 sure...), thus avoiding the pain of trying to manually write down the
66 kernel panic or whatever. That could be helpful.
71 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman