From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware problems
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:18:36
1 On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 08:17:16PM +0200, Stefan Ruester wrote:
2 > Hello Community,
3 >
4 > i have some serious problems getting VMware-Server running on my new
5 > Gentoo installation. I run gentoo 2006.1 with "~amd64" use-flag and all
6 > packages are up to date. Everything runs fine except VMware-Server. i
7 > set the virtual machine up using vmware server under windows xp and
8 > installed the virtual disk on a fat32 filesystem. I planned to use the
9 > same virtual machine with both os, windows and gentoo, but it doesn't
10 > work as i expected.
11 > The installation went through without a flaw and i can even start the
12 > vmware console and log on to the local machine. i see my virtual machine
13 > but when i try to start it my whole system freezes. I thought it might
14 > be a graphics problem (I'm running beryl desktop) but the freeze also
15 > happens when i start the machine via commandline (vmware-cmd). It would
16 > be much easier if there was at least one entry in any log but actually
17 > there's nothing! Neither in the syslog nor in the vmware log. I did an
18 > strace starting the machine which i can post if there's interest in it.
19 > Anyway the same error occurs also when i start a "fresh" machine without
20 > relation to another install (i.e. no shared disk or that stuff).
21 > Any help highly appreciated!
22 >
23 Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar problem with both
24 vmware-server and vmware-server-console. If I tried to access a running
25 vm, or start a vm, the application would just hang. After a bit of
26 poking around, I was able to determine my issue had something to do with
27 ldap access. My primary account is authenticated via ldap, so there was
28 no local account for my user. I created a local account for my user id
29 and now I can run local vm images as well as connect to remote servers.
30
31 Brett
32 --
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list