From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 06:26:43
1 On Wednesday 08 March 2006 02.06, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I've never used VMware but someone suggested I try their VMware
4 > Player app. Looking around I ran across info on the workstation
5 > version here:
6 >
7 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_VMware
8 >
9 > but nothing yet on the Player app. Is anyone using the Player? Does
10 > any of this work on the 64-bit platform or do I need to run all of
11 > this chroot'ed?
12
13 Yes, I've used the vmware-player. If I remember well, the player is masked
14 (amd64 keyword), but not vmware-workstation.
15
16 It did work , but apparently shared folders are deactivated in the player at
17 the time. So I ended up upgrading vmware-workstation and that's what I am
18 using now.
19
20 > Since VMware is a retail app I assume all the WIKI is showing is
21 > how to get the workstation set up and that I'd have to have a license
22 > to actually use it? Or is this not the case? I didn't spot any
23 > comments about entering license numbers, etc., and never having used
24 > VMware I wouldn't really know what to look for anyway.
25
26 No, you don't need to pay to use vmware.player. The catch is that the player
27 has some limitations, the most important being that you can't create a
28 virtual machine - so you have to create it on another machine running
29 workstation, or download one somewhere.
30
31 I also noticed that I got regular errors when starting the player, but could
32 start it in the end, while the problem did not occur with workstation.
33
34 The bottom line (I think) is that if you rellly need en emulator like vmware,
35 you should think about getting workstation. If it's more a matter of trying,
36 you won't break much with player. Note that player is easily removed the day
37 you want to emerge workstatiion.
38
39 > Thanks in advance,
40 > Mark
41
42 Have a nice day
43
44 Thierry
47 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
48 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
49 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
50 Frank Zappa
51 --
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list