From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: accelerated X 7.1 & ATI card
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:22:32
1 p.pruszczak@××××××××.pl posted
2 20060820155956Z11036-13481+218@××××××××××××××.pl, excerpted below, on Sun,
3 20 Aug 2006 18:03:51 +0200:
4
5 > Duncan - where is masked xorg 7.2 ?? I do not see it in my
6 > /usr/portage/profiles ??
7
8 As best I know, what happened is that xorg-7.2 is very similar to 7.1, a
9 bugfix release with only some files updated. As Gentoo now has modular-X,
10 what that means for Gentoo is that they didn't have to upgrade everything,
11 only some of the packages. Note that the xorg-x11 package itself is a
12 meta-package, consisting almost entirely of dependencies. Since all the
13 updates were bug fixes, they didn't put out an xorg-7.2 metapackage but
14 simply updated all the modular dependencies, which then got pulled in
15 under the xorg-7.1 metapackage as soon as they were unmasked.
16
17 What I do know is that very shortly after the public xorg-7.2 announcement,
18 several of the Gentoo xorg modules including xf86-video-ati and xorg-server
19 were updated. I've always believed that group of updates were what
20 constituted xorg-7.2, for binary and non-modular distributions.
21
22 Anyway, that's what I'm referring to when I say xorg 7.2. Maybe I've been
23 deluding myself. =8^)
24
25 It was in an earlier reply but that one was long, so I'll repeat it here
26 where it's easy to find. I'm running:
27
28 xf86-video-ati-6.6.1
29 xorg-server-1.1.1
30
31 I had thought that xorg now included 3D for the r300 series. However, it
32 looks like it's still only 2D with the 6.6.1 I have (presumably xorg 7.2).
33 The new 3D support must still be upcoming, repository only at this point,
34 but I'd assume coming for 7.3.
35
36 Hope that clears things up.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list