From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Compositing WM
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:52:28
1 Mauro Maroni <mmaroni@××××××.ar> posted
2 200702061409.52494.mmaroni@××××××.ar, excerpted below, on Tue, 06 Feb
3 2007 14:09:52 -0300:
4
5 > Is anyone here using a compositing window manager?
6 > I would like to give it a try but I have some general questions:
7 > What is the best option for a Nvidia + KDE user? Beryl? Compiz?
8 > Are they stable? Anything else that I should consider?
9 > Just wanted to hear about your experience :-)
10
11 I'm using kwin itself, which already has some decent compositing effects.
12 I've been using mainly the transparent windowing features for quite some
13 time (the others, shadows did little for me, and I got tired of waiting
14 on the fading effects when I wanted to get stuff done, so I turned that
15 off). With xorg-7.1.1 and <kde-3.5.6 using EXA rendering instead of XAA
16 (which was very slow with compositing turned on in 7.1.1), the transparent
17 windows weren't CPU intensive at all, even on my older Radeon 9200 running
18 dual 1600x1200 in merged framebuffer mode (stacked for 1600x2400). The
19 biggest problem I noticed was a bit of kompmgr/kwin memory leakage -- kept
20 under control with decently strict ulimit settings on virtual and resident
21 memory -- and a desktop copy of a script to killall -9 kwin; sleep 1;
22 kwin, thus reclaiming the leaked memory when things got slow because it
23 was running up against the resource limits I had set.
24
25 With xorg-7.2, EXA had some bugs (blank/missing pieces of windows and the
26 like, it's a known issue), but XAA is fast enough to be usable now, where
27 it wasn't really usable with composite before, at least here. Thus, I
28 switched back to XAA. The leaks seemed to be somewhat worse for a few
29 days, but kde-3.5.6 came out just days after xorg-7.2, with some major
30 memory leak fixes for those running composite, and indeed, it's /very/
31 stable now -- I've not had to use that kwin killer script at all since the
32 kde-3.5.6 upgrade. I've been going to try EXA again and see if the newer
33 3.5.6 KDE fixes the bugs with it too, but I've not yet.
34
35 FWIW, my general window opacity settings are
36
37 Active: 93%
38 Inactive: 60%
39 Moving: 77%
40
41 I have the checkbox to treat "keep above" windows as active, checked.
42
43 Taking a look at the Beryl 2 previews, the spinning cube eye candy looks
44 nice, but I have a number of Window-Specific Settings that AFAIK need kwin
45 to work, so while I might try Beryl at some point, I expect I'll be back
46 to kwin when I actually want to get back to work, and will be waiting
47 patiently for a truly KDE integrated version in KDE4.
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list