From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:54:48
On 07/01/2011 04:04 AM, Frank Peters wrote:
> A few days ago I posted about a possible problem with a floating > point test called the UCBTEST. After examining the source code > of this test, I see violations of aliasing rules throughout. > It's hard to efficiently manipulate variables without them.
You can alias them with a char* (a char pointer can alias everything in a valid and defined manner). What you do is use the char* to scan over the target type. And since a char is always guaranteed to be 8 bits, it's very suited for doing endian conversions.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>