From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:15:02
1 Stan Sander wrote:
2 > Wednesday 08 December 2010
6 >> Glad you posted this. I looked at the USE flags for grub not a package
7 >> called grub-static. That seems to be two different beasts. I never
8 >> knew that package existed. Would emerging the plain grub with the
9 >> static USE flag give the same results? I would think not else they
10 >> would just have one package but am curious just the same.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks.
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >>
16 > No, the static use flag in grub does not do the same thing. If you run a no-multilib profile (in other words pure 64-bit) you need to run grub-static if you are going to use grub as a boot loader. As Frank said, lilo is still maintained and is a viable choice. So that's what it comes down to, your choices -- lilo or grub, multilib or no-multilib. Personally I've run no-multilib for some time now and have not ever wished otherwise since I made the switch. If you run a multilib profile, you can use the regular grub package (or lilo) with whatever USE flags suit your needs. You can also use grub-static in a multilib profile. If you select the no-multilib profile grub will be hard masked.
20 New info so a new decision. I plan to go no-multilib so looks like I
21 will be using grub-static after all. Please disregard the post I sent a
22 few seconds ago saying I would try the plain grub first. ;-)
23
24 Still have no desire to use lilo. lol
25
26 Dale
27