From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] RE: Re: gcc compile failed after 2005.1-r1 instalation
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:10:28
Clemente Aguiar posted
excerpted below,  on Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:39:01 +0000:
> >> De: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] Em nome de Duncan >> >> Clemente Aguiar ... >> >> > After the basic stage3 instalation, kernel compilation and reboot, >> > everything was fine. [Then an emerge -e world yields an error on >> > gcc: snippage to the interesting stuff:] >> >> > -fPIC [snip but same gcc command] version-script=libgcc/32/ >> > -o 32/ -m32 [snip] >> >> -fPIC with -m32? >> > I did NOT add any of the compilation flags myself (-fPIC or -m32).
-m32 is required when compiling 32-bit code on a multilib gcc. It's parallel to -m64, which is the default, for 64-bit code. Since gcc must compile both 64-bit and 32-bit compilers, the -m32 would be normal/expected for the 32-bit side. -fPIC is required for libraries in 64-bit mode, so it would be normal/expected there, but can cause issues in 32-bit mode or for executables (not libraries) in 64-bit mode, so wouldn't normally be used there. It's NOT normal on the 32-bit side! Thus, I'm at a loss as to why they'd both be seen in the same compile directive, except that sometimes folks add -fPIC themselves, but your CFLAGS below don't have it, so it wasn't you. AFAIK, it's a bug.
>> > Here is my emerge --info >> > Portage (default-linux/amd64/2005.1, gcc-3.4.4, >> > glibc-2.3.5-r2, 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 x86_64) >> > ================================================================= >> > System uname: 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz >> [snip] >> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64" >> > AUTOCLEAN="yes" >> > CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" >> > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe" >> >> OK, -fPIC isn't in your CFLAGS, so that isn't the problem. [snip] > > Thanks Duncan. > So far nobody else said anything about this issue. I am considering > filling a bug. I am a newbie on these matters (never filed a bug > before). > How should I go about it? > What should I mention about the bug? (what is the bug)
A bug is something happening that shouldn't, by expectations and according to the documentation. Filing a bug refers to filing a report on the bug in bugzilla, the web based database most open source projects use to track bugs. Gentoo has its bugzilla at The filing process is pretty well guided, telling you what is needed at each step. It's actually good that you HAVEN'T filed bugs elsewhere, before, because Gentoo's bug filing process is a bit different than most, and is actually more confusing (and frustrating) if you've used others and have preconceived ideas about how it /should/ work, than if you are starting out without such preconceived (and wrong for Gentoo) ideas. First, you need a bugzilla account, which you will log into every time you file a bug, or to add new information to bugs you've already filed, when the developer follows up and asks for it, or asks you to test something. To create your new account, follow the Open a new Bugzilla account option on the site I linked above. It'll ask for an email address and your name, then allow you to create the account, and mail you the password. Once you have your new account and are logged in, hit the "New" or "Report a bug" link, and it'll ask you to select a product. Normally and in this case, the product is "Gentoo Linux". Clicking on "Gentoo Linux" brings you to the main bug form page. You start by searching for your bug, so they don't get too many duplicate reports of the same thing. If there's nothing that matches, you then continue with the filing as instructed. Your error, and emerge info, both are helpful, but you posted both here, so you know that already. =8^) As it happens, a search on "gcc-3.4.4" already produces a couple hits that look relevant, so you should NOT file a new one this time. HOWEVER, it'll still be very useful to have your additional report on the existing bug, so if you haven't yet, please do create that account, and add your information as necessary to the existing bug. Here's the first bug, altho a look at his error attachment shows a different error, so this probably isn't yours: Here's the second one. This one shows a similar error with -m32 and -fPIC in the same section. I'd suggest you register and add your information to the several other folks who have reported a problem. Of special interest in your case is that it's a new install, so shouldn't have all the cruft many other systems might. That makes your report valuable because it doesn't have as many other complicating factors to consider. In addition to that, you'll probably want to add yourself to the cc: list, so you can follow the progress as they work on it. Note that progress doesn't always seem as rapid as you might like when you have one open that's frustrating your own progress. This particular bug was filed on 8-27, with the last modified date shoing as 10-05, so some patience may be necessary. It's also possible, if gcc won't compile anything else either, you may need to revert to an older gcc, 3.4.3 or something, if 3.4.4 won't work for you at the moment. If you started with 3.4.3, and didn't specifically unmerge it, it's likely still on your system. All you'll need to do is merge gcc-config if necessary (it's likely already there), and then use it to switch to the older profile. Hopefully, the older one will work even if the newer one doesn't. If you don't have 3.4.3 still on your system, you should be able to get a bin-packaged version off the packages CD. In no case should you have to be stuck with the non-working version, even on a new install. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list