From: Richard Freeman <rich0@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:52:32
1 On Tue, July 12, 2005 7:27 am, Anand Buddhdev said:
2 > The main issues seem to be
3 > with firefox 32-bit plugins, and win32 codecs for use with mplayer.
4
5 I might also point out java, which nobody else has pointed out thus far.
6 Simple applets and apps work fine with either blackdown or sun-jre/jdk.
7 However, more complex apps can tend to break in 64-bit land due to bugs in
8 the VMs. I've found some that work with blackdown only and some which run
9 with sun-1.5 only (which is a beta that breaks all kinds of other stuff).
10
11 I've gotten so frustrated with 1.5 issues that right now I don't have java
12 installed at all 64-bit. I just run it in a 32-bit chroot.
13
14 If you are just running simple stuff I wouldn't worry about it, but if you
15 want to run anything complex I'd consider using a chroot...
16 --
17 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list