From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:33:55
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > So, does it sound like fun to anyone? For all I know someone's already
3 > tested it. I haven't been following ext4 development close enough to
4 > know for sure, if I didn't simply happen across it.
7 I'd certainly be curious as to the results of such a benchmark. Maybe
8 I'll try to mess around and come up with some (good excuse to try out ext4).
9
10 However, I agree with the crux of your argument. In theory tmpfs+swap
11 should be able to outperform any filesystem out there. In practice it
12 might not - kind of like seeing a really-well-written bubblesort
13 outperform a really-badly-written quicksort. I still see tmpfs as being
14 the better design, but if it is hampered by its implementation maybe
15 there is something to doing it differently.