From: Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System crashes when idle
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:33:45
1 On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:42:10AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > A couple. Either RAM or hard disk would be my first suspect. You can check
3 > the RAM best by compiling any large package, such as gcc itself. Memtest
4 > and its like can only find the most obvious faults and in my opinion aren't
5 > worth their salt - if they can find a fault, it will already be obvious to
6 > you.
7
8 I've also found GCC to be a fairly effective system torture test. Late
9 last year I had an issue where compiling GCC was the only relibable way
10 to reproduce an issue what we were seeing. The symptoms were random
11 system hangs and believe it or not occasional segfaults. It turned out
12 be bad L2 cache on the CPU. Repeatedly emerging gcc eventually
13 generated a MCE log message allowing us to diagnose the problem.
14
15 -J