From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Quick grub question
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 20:56:48
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 463D15D0.1030105@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sat, 05 May 2007
3 19:40:00 -0400:
4
5 > Ok, I am trying to get my raid working. I have /dev/hda,b,c,d and
6 > /dev/sda,b,c. My boot partition is on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1
7 > (mirrored).
8 > So, how do I set that up?
9 >
10 > Grub gives me:
11 >
12 > grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
13 > (hd0,0)
14 > (hd3,0)
15 > (hd4,0)
16 >
17 > You can ignore hd0,0 - that is my old non-raid boot partition - it will
18 > get blown away once I'm migrated to the raid.
19 >
20 > I'm not sure if the drive numbers that grub sees will change when I boot
21 > off of sda or sdb. I did try to set things up following the various
22 > howtos and it didn't work, but they all tend to assume your boot drive
23 > is hd0.
24 >
25 > Any pointers? And don't ask why I have so many drives and am only now
26 > starting to set up a RAID... :) Suffice it to say my current lvm
27 > config makes me nervous...
28
29 Sounds like you /should/ be nervous. =8^(
30
31 OK, I'm tired and I'm not sure I'm answering the question you are asking
32 as I'm not sure I'm correctly parsing it, but let's see if this helps.
33
34 Think of it this way, when each drive is configured in BIOS to boot,
35 it'll probably see itself as hd0, with the BIOS switching around the
36 others accordingly to make it that way.
37
38 Rather than try to figure out which drive was which and get grub
39 installed correctly in them all (I have four in my RAID) from my running
40 system, I installed grub to a floppy, and booted that, so all the hard
41 drives appeared in their "natural" BIOS order. Then one by one, I
42 installed to them from the floppy, then when I was done, I tested by
43 pointing the BIOS at each one to boot from, and then doing the same
44 thing, but with the other drives removed, to be sure it could find grub
45 and grub could find /boot on the single remaining drive of the mirror set
46 with or without all the others in the mirror set there.
47
48 As noted above, with the BIOS pointed at a drive to boot, it may see
49 itself as hd0, regardless of where it's normally located. You can test
50 this, by configuring root (hd0,0) for each install, then point the BIOS
51 at it and see if it find /boot. If it does, you know that's what the
52 BIOS is doing, reassigning each drive as the first one. If it doesn't,
53 you know that it's not, and you probably need to use root (hd3,0) when
54 installing grub. Once grub is installed, however, you may be able to
55 boot it and figure out where it needs to point, if it's not pointed at
56 the right place.
57
58 Hope that helps, and didn't leave you even more confused. I know I did
59 it, but I took it a step at a time, and as I said, installed grub to a
60 floppy and booted it to figure out what was going on, then installed to
61 the hard drive from the floppy.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
69 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list