From: Tres Melton <tres@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: arts
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:19:04
1 On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 11:57 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > I hope I'm not hijacking this thread ;-) but can anyone tell me
4 > what creates /dev/dsp in the first place? On this newly reinstalled
5 > Xfce4 system it doesn't exist, even though the kernel sound modules do
6 > and have been loaded.
7
8 I think that it is created by the deprecated devfs package. The newer
9 udev package uses /dev/sound/dsp and make /dev/dsp a link to the newer
10 one for compatibility but since you don't have one it may only create
11 the link if the old device was there.
14 Tres
17 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list