From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:37:04
1 Hi Richard,
2 on Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 02:08:26PM -0400, you wrote:
3 > Note that in such a situation if either disk fails you're likely to end up
4 > with a panic when your swap device isn't accessible. If uptime is a
5 > concern mirrored swap is better (but slower).
6 >
7 > Of course, if you're running on consumer hardware chances are that computer
8 > is going to fail if a drive hangs up in any case - most motherboards don't
9 > handle drive failures gracefully, but server-class hardware usually
10 > isolates drives so that a drive failure doesn't take down the system.
11
12 True, that's a risk I figured I could live with. It's actually a server
13 board but in a regular tower case and w/o hot-swappable drives, and I'm
14 not controlling my iron lung with it :)
15
16 cheers,
17 Matthias
18 --
19 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
20 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665