From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Failures on updating KDE to 4.4.1 - unable to update kmail
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 00:03:39
1 Paul Stear posted on Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:14:10 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Thanks Duncan, I hope you do not have problems but can still help me.
4
5 FWIW, I'm upgrading in the background right now. I'm doing it twice,
6 ~amd64 on my main machine, and ~x86 on the image (on my main machine, but)
7 for my netbook, some 270+ packages on each, including the non-kde ones (I
8 don't run a full kde or it'd be more).
9
10 FWIW, there were some issues with mysql reported, tho they /should/ be
11 fixed with the latest versions of everything. That would affect akonadi/
12 kaddressbook/kmail, which I run, and amarok, which I dumped due to
13 developers more interested in more features I didn't want (after removing
14 several I used) than in the fact that they were breaking it for the amd64
15 segment of their userbase, back when they switched to mysql-embedded.
16
17 IMO, you'll be better off choosing a simpler music player, unless of
18 course you actually /use/ all that database functionality, scoring,
19 wikipedia artist lookup, etc, and value it above having a player that
20 actually /works/ for playing /music/. After a bit of research, I went
21 with mpd and a few chosen front-ends, in part so I could have
22 uninterrupted play when I wasn't running X and when I was, but there's all
23 sorts of players for all sorts of styles. And unless your style exactly
24 matches the amarok one, it's very likely simply way too many complex
25 dependencies to be worth running it. But if amarok's your style, by all
26 means, continue to use it! It's just not mine and even when I was running
27 it back in kde3, I found it rather bloated for my tastes. But the switch
28 to mysql-embedded was the last straw for me, so I switched, and am very
29 glad I did. =:^)
30
31 More on the rest when I'm done with the upgrade...
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman