From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can't install Grub 0.97-r5
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 10:13:52
1 On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 10:34 +0200, alain.didierjean@××××.fr wrote:
2 > I emerged grub's last version. So stage 1, 1.5 & 2 are in /boot/grub allright.
3 > But trying to install the new mbr gives:
4 > grub> root (hd0,0)
5 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
6 >
7 > grub> setup (hd0)
8 > Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
9 > Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
10 >
11 > Error 15: File not found
12 >
13 > Of course, /boot/grub/stage1 is there.
14 >
15 > So I'm stuck with a half installed grub and dare not reboot. I re-emerged the
16 > last version to no avail.
17 > Any practical advice before I re-emerge previous grub version?
18
19 There was a related issue discussed on this list recently, search the
20 archives for email from Duncan with subject "boot Gentoo from USB key"
21 dated May, 2.
22
23 I don't know if this really applies to you, in my case I had that
24 problem on a newly formatted (USB) drive. Newer mkfs.ext2 by default
25 build 256 bytes I-nodes, and these are not recognized by grub. I
26 re-formatted the drive using 128 bytes I-nodes (option -I to mkfs.ext2),
27 and it ran smoothly. The symptoms were exactly as you describe, I could
28 see the stage* files on the disk with ls, but grub told me Error 15.
29
30 Did you re-create the filesystem on (hd0,0) recently? If so, you'll
31 probably have the 256 byte I-Nodes that grub doesn't like. You can check
32 I-node size with dumpe2fs.
33
34 raf
37 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list