From: Saphirus Sage <saphirus497@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 03:51:37
1 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > Now I am not actually voicing a complaint. Gentoo, IMO, is still
3 > the best distribution for Linux. I am just wondering why there
4 > is such a great lag before a package version is deemed stable -- or
5 > even unstable. In my experience with maintaining my own Linux system,
6 > I never had any great issues with always installing the latest "bleeding"
7 > edge software.
8 >
9 > Frank Peters
10 >
11 I feel it's worthwhile to mention that in comparison to other system,
12 Gentoo really doesn't lag quite that far behind package releases. By
13 comparison, when dealing with an Ubuntu box, unless one is using the
14 dev-packages, which incidentally are still behind the unstable releases
15 for Gentoo, the latest available wine is 1.0.1-r1 and the latest
16 available kernel is 2.6.27, so by that measure, we're quite far ahead.