From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: simulating apt-get on gentoo
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:42:38
1 Daiajo Tibdixious posted on Fri, 22 Apr 2016 20:01:24 +1000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I found (buy running with --debug) that its not running my changed
4 > ebuild.
5 > I had to do ebuild clean phase & run from the beginning each time to
6 > make it see any changes.
7
8 Yeah. Once you're working with ebuild, not emerge, you normally need to
9 run ebuild <ebuild> clean to start over. IIRC emerge has a keep-work
10 feature that will normally do the same thing, and of course if an ebuild
11 fails it usually keeps it for you to look at, but by default emerge will
12 clean up old work before it starts a new merge of the same package, while
13 with ebuild you have to tell it to do so.
14
15 With ebuild it is also possible to delete individual ebuild phase tracker
16 files (like .unpacked, .setuped, .prepared, .configured, .compiled,
17 .installed, etc, in the ebuild's tmpdir) in ordered to have it back up
18 part way, not starting completely over, but starting over at a particular
19 phase.
20
21 I suppose most gentooers used to troubleshooting their own ebuild
22 problems and sometimes generating their own patches get familiar with
23 this sort of stuff over time. I know I have.
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman