From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: local.start conditional on soft-level
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:13:21
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200702110402.44090.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 11 Feb
3 2007 04:02:44 +0000:
4
5 > On Saturday 10 February 2007 15:06:56 Duncan wrote:
6 >> Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
7 >> 200702100947.41219.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sat, 10 Feb
8 >>
9 >> 2007 09:47:41 +0000:
10 >> > I'd like my /etc/conf.d/local.start to distinguish between soft
11 >> > run-levels, so that "sensors -s" will be run in the default level but
12 >> > not in the no-x level I've defined for maintenance.
13 >>
14 >> sensors -s? If that's lm_sensors, why aren't you running the lm_sensors
15 >> initscript instead of using local.start for it?
16 >
17 > [lecture snipped]
18 >
19 > Of course I'm using the init script. The lm_sensors documents specify
20 > running "sensors -s" in addition to that. Sheesh.
21
22 What documents? The generic ones that don't account for the fact that
23 Gentoo's initscript already takes care of it, you just have to add it to
24 the appropriate runlevel?
25
26 If you read the initscript, you'll see it does in fact include exactly
27 that initialization command (sensors -s). Take a look yourself if you
28 wish. Unless there's a bug in the script, that should be all you need.
29 If there's a bug in the script and it's not working, then file a bug, and
30 until it's fixed you'll likely need a workaround, but that's not what you
31 said.
32
33 Anyway, lecture or not, the file I pointed you at and its comment
34 regarding the softlevel conditional initscripts was correct, regardless of
35 why you want to use it. It just so happens you shouldn't need to use it
36 in the way you proposed, tho you /might/ wish to use it with the
37 lm_sensors initscript. That's what I was saying in that "lecture". To
38 quote you, "Sheesh."
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list