From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:13:00
1 On Nov 11, 2007 2:52 PM, Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 <SNIP>
4 >
5 > the system configs are normal too.... the only thing that i can advise you
6 > to do is try the mozilla-firefox instead of mozilla-firefox-bin. don't
7 > uninstall the bin since it can coexhist with the non bin package.... try
8 > that (some hours of compilation) and see what it does.
11 Humm....mozilla-firefox hasn't been much of an option for me in the
12 past. Too many problems with web-based media not playing without all
13 the wincodecs stuff. Maybe this has improved? I've used firefox-bin
14 really to get Flash, Java and wincodecs. I don't care which one I use.
15 I just want a good user experience when I'm browsing around and run
16 into something interesting.
17
18 I really only run the AMD64 version of Gentoo because a few years ago
19 when I bought this system it seemed like an interesting thing to try
20 out and at the time I had a Linux laptop running 32-bit Gentoo in case
21 I ran into problems. Then a guy on the web found me and wanted to buy
22 my 2 year old laptop for more than I paid for it (he wanted a backup
23 machine) so I sold it and no longer have that backup.
24
25 As an everyday, normal desktop user-type I really don't know that
26 running 64bit Gentoo offers me any advantages and has shown to have
27 significant disadvantages, at least the way I build the comparison
28 list. I wonder in what usage model do people here see a measurable
29 advantage running 64-bit over 32-bit Gentoo?
30
31 I've stuck with it for a long time, and I hate to give up, but maybe
32 it's time to just pack it in and rebuild the machine.
33
34 I'll keep poking around at this.
35
36 Thanks,