From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: bug report help
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:03:11
1 Fernando Boaglio posted on Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:41:59 -0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > I did, same thing:
6 > fb@de09 ~/eclipse $ ./eclipse -vm /opt/icedtea6-bin-1.9.4/bin/java
7 > -vmargs -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M
8 > -XX:+UseSerialGC
11 > *** glibc detected *** /opt/icedtea6-bin-1.9.4/bin/java: free(): invalid
12 > pointer: 0x00000000033244c0 ***
13
14 Two notes, here:
15
16 1) I don't know about sunjdk as there's license issues such that I won't
17 install it, but the iced-tea6-bin package, while free, is a pre-compiled
18 binary install. As such, revdep-rebuild won't be able to do anything for
19 it as it'll just reinstall the same binary, so the package installs a
20 revdep-rebuild control file so revdep-rebuild skips checking it, to
21 prevent reinstalls that wouldn't fix anything.
22
23 FWIW there's the icedtea package for from-source building, but the build-
24 process is said to be quite convoluted, many dependencies, etc., thus the
25 binary package option.
26
27 If the sunjdk package similarly has binary components, since that's what
28 originally triggered the bug, that /might/ be your issue. However, I
29 don't know that it does.
30
31 2) What version of glibc do you have? Unless you're running ~arch or even
32 masked/live, this probably doesn't apply, but... LWN article posted Nov
33 10, 2010 about a glibc change to memcpy behavior when used in a context
34 with specifically undefined behavior:
35
36 http://lwn.net/Articles/414467/
37
38 Also see the Nov 24, 2010 longer LWN commentary article, which covers both
39 the glibc change and a kernel behavior change, examining how they were
40 handled when found to break things, etc.
41
42 http://lwn.net/Articles/416821/
43
44 FWIW, I'm with the glibc folks here. The behavior is specifically said to
45 be undefined when the memory regions overlap, and think about it, if your
46 memory source and destination regions overlap, by definition it's not a
47 simple copy anyway, as the data in the source region has changed at the
48 end and with a simple copy, it should intuitively be the same as it was --
49 unless you overlap the copies, but then that's not a simple copy so
50 shouldn't be using the copy function! Duh!
51
52 The kernel thing is specifically different, in part because Linus has
53 established clear rules about breaking the kernel/userspace interface (in
54 a word, don't!) -- part of the reason that change was reverted. If it had
55 instead been specifically documented as changeable, much like the kernel's
56 internal interfaces are (much to the dismay of many closed-source kernel
57 module devs)... the outcome there would likely have been similar to the
58 glibc outcome.
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman