From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:07:32
1 Florian Philipp posted on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:12:36 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 >> However, kde4 uses a database for akonadi. With older versions (thru
4 >> 4.3 at least), it was mysql by default.
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > Same issue with Amarok.
8
9 Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten about amarok, as I got disgusted
10 with it awhile back, when they basically decided their amd64 users didn't
11 matter (the embedded mysql lib they were using was broken on amd64, and it
12 wasn't exactly an unknown break, either, they simply didn't care about
13 such users enough to stop them from making it mandatory), and switched to
14 something (mpd, with several front-ends, still less bloated than amarok)
15 far less bloated and more in tune with my needs anyway. Of course, it
16 didn't help that they'd dumped most of the features I found likable in the
17 kde3 version, only to add more bloat I found nothing but useless to the
18 kde4 version, either, but it was the utter unconcern about their kde4 amd64
19 users, when kde3 was already no longer supported by kde itself (and was on
20 its way out for Gentoo) that was the last straw for me.
21
22 But yes, amarok requires mysql too, unfortunately.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman