From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] chroot can't find /bin/bash
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 03:05:19
1 transcode is giving me a segmentation fault, which I reported as a bug.
2 They now want a backtrace & I've roughly followed
3 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
4 I used ebuild directly, ending at the install phase, as I don't want
5 to overwrite the live transcode.
6
7 I then built a /mnt/debug chroot using roughly
8 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
9 (32bit chroot guild for AMD64) with the following binds:
10 mount -o bind /bin /mnt/debug/bin
11 mount -o bind /etc /mnt/debug/etc
12 mount -o bind /dev /mnt/debug/dev
13 mount -o bind /proc /mnt/debug/proc
14 mount -o bind /sys /mnt/debug/sys
15 mount -o bind /tmp /mnt/debug/tmp
16 mount -o bind /home/daiajo /mnt/debug/home/daiajo
17 and moved the /var/tmp/portage/transcode-*/image dirs into /mnt/debug
18 (just usr in this case)
19 The problem comes when trying to chroot into it:
20 # ls /bin/bash
21 /bin/bash
22 # ls /mnt/debug/bin/bash
23 /mnt/debug/bin/bash
24 # chroot /mnt/debug /bin/bash
25 chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
26
27 Is there a guide for doing this sort of chroot?
28 What is this sort of chroot called?
29 Is there a better way to run a debug transcode without messing with
30 the live system?
31 I googled around but "chroot" hits so many things its hard to find the
32 right one.
33
34 I also tried running transcode from the image/bin directory with
35 PATH=/var/tmp/portage/transcode-1.0.2-r3/image/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin
36 however
37 tcextract (run in a subshell I believe) is not found.
38 I was going to ask why that didn't work, now I realise the subshells
39 aren't going to see it, doh.
40 I ran tcextract and tcdecode outside of transcode and they worked
41 without complaint, so its the main transcode at fault.
42 Interestingly, transcode still "Segmentation fault"d when tcextract
43 failed to run,
44 so I was able to get my backtrace, just wondering if there is a better
45 way to go about all this.
46
47 I wouldn't mind having a debug chroot where I could just emerge stuff,
48 like a 32 bit chroot (which I had up and running for a while, removed
49 it because it did not fix my problem, and I was running short of disk
50 space) but I'm not sure how to go about it.
51 --
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list