From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Do stable packages require stable dependencies?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 14:51:43
1 On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Is there a rule or something else in the way Gentoo is set up that
4 >> requires/states/recommends that for a package to be marked as stable
5 >> it is a requirement that all dependencies also be stable?
6 >
7 > Yes
10 Thanks.
13 >> If someone has a basically stable system and can take the time could
14 >> you possibly try
15 >>
16 >> emerge -pvDuN rstudio
17 >>
18 >> and see if it's trying to pull in lots of unstable haskell packages to
19 >> build rstudio-0.98.490-r1?
20 >
21 > The problem is that it is trying to install the latest ~arch version
22 > of rstudio, which seems like a portage bug to me.
23 >
24 > This command works fine:
25 > emerge -pvDuN "=sci-mathematics/rstudio-0.98.490-r1"
26 >
27 > There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with rstudio here, only that
28 > portage is trying to install an unstable version of it on a stable
29 > system. I'd suggest logging a portage bug.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Rich
33 >
34 As Penny on Big Bang Theory says 'Oh crap on a stick'. rstudio was
35 marked as ~amd64 I forgot to look at my keywords file. I removed the
36 rstudio ~amd64 entry there and it works fine now:
37
38 c2RAID6 ~ # vi /etc/portage/package.keywords/package.keywords_file
39 c2RAID6 ~ # emerge -pvDuN rstudio
40
41 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
42
43 Calculating dependencies... done!
44 [ebuild U ] sci-mathematics/rstudio-0.98.490-r1 [0.98.490]
45 USE="(-dedicated%) (-server%)" 0 KiB
46
47 Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
48 c2RAID6 ~ #
49
50 Stupid me but that's better as there's no portage bug, just a buggy user.
51
52 Thanks Rich!
53
54 Cheers,