From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: error when opening kmail
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:02:47
Paul Stear posted on Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:23:27 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi all, > I get the following errors when starting kmail / akonadi / mysql :- > > 110104 13:15:30 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 1429535 > 110104 13:15:30 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table > 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them > 110104 13:15:30 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table > 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist > 110104 13:15:30 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections. > > How do I obtain/create time zone table and privlege tables? > > Thanks for any help
One way to cure the issue is to switch to an akonadi backend other than MySQL. If you take a look at the ebuilds for akonadi-server-1.3.1 and 1.4.1, you'll note that Gentoo switched the backend preference order from mysql preferred to sqlite preferred (it's based on the sqlite/postgres/mysql USE flags, but the test favors mysql in 1.3.1 if that flag is on, sqlite in 1.4.1 if that flag is on). The reason for that is that the akonadi sqlite driver took some time to mature, particularly the multi-threading aspects, and with 1.3.1, the mysql driver was the best available. By 1.4.1 however, the sqlite driver had matured and is now preferred as it's a lighter install with less technical issues like the ones above, especially for users not running mysql on their systems for other reasons. Do note the warning in the 1.4.1 ebuild, however, about switching the driver in your home dir config, ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc , as well, since portage doesn't touch users' home dirs, only system dirs, and for existing users the default will have been set in the user dir when akonadi was run. Of course, akonadi-server-1.4.1 is ~arch, and you may want sqlite and qt- sql (which means all qt4 packages installed, since they're version-locked together), at least, as ~arch as well. FWIW, I'm running ~arch here, plus the kde overlay since I use its sets (with portage-2.2.0_alphas) and often install kde updates before they make it to the tree. I'm thus running akonadi-server-1.4.1 and kde 4.5.4 (4.5.5 should be out about now but I've not synced this week yet), except that the kdepim packages including kmail are still 4.4.8, since kdepim 4.5 never came out of beta, upstream. IIRC I upgraded to the sqlite backend drivers about the same time 4.5 came out, and I've been MUCH happier with them than with the mysql backend, as mysql may be great indeed as a high power database, but was apparently never really designed to be run by ordinary users who don't particularly care about its config, they just want it to work, thus, not designed for the usage to which kde had been putting it. If you prefer to stay with the mysql backend, perhaps because you don't want to run ~arch... Google is your friend. =:^) Seriously, googling the warning and error you posted gave me good results. Here's an article on the timezone one I think I remember reading back when it first came out: ... And this thread on the arch forums looks useful for the other one (and maybe both): -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: error when opening kmail --Resolved-- Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>