From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CD drive opening on boot!!
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:10:30
1 On 12/24/2009 3:01 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > But the point is, there's no way to test a half-stable system. Before
3 > they stable, they test the new packages (only) on an otherwise stable
4 > system, and before they ~arch, they test on at least the developer's
5 > machine that it works, but there's no real testing, and indeed, no
6 > practical way /to/ test because of the number of possibilities involved,
7 > on a system that's partly stable and partly unstable. With Gentoo, it's
8 > still an option the user has, but as they say, if it breaks, you get to
9 > keep the pieces, it's definitely a "beware, here be dragons!" option.
10
11 If by "half-stable" you meant people that installed 100 packages and 50
12 of them are unstable, I'd agree with you, they're the ones getting the
13 most trouble. They can't be a stabilizer since their system is not
14 "stable" but neither are they a true cutting edge adopter. But I doubt
15 that there are many such people, most people that runs half-stable
16 system would only have at most ~10 unstable packages (or 50 unstable
17 unmasks but 40 of them are for packages that stabilizes last year).
18
19 > Of course, personally, I'm a dyed in the wool and unapologetic ~arch
20 > user, plus often various development overlays, unmasking various still
21 > hard-masked packages, etc. To me, stable is months to sometimes years
22 > out of date and stale. But I (sort of) understand folks who want stable,
23 > tho I honestly don't /quite/ comprehend why they're on Gentoo in that
24 > case, as it honestly seems to me a much slower cycling distribution like
25 > Debian stable or the various long term support enterprise distributions
26 > (Red Hat/CentOS, Novell, UbuntuLTS...) would be more appropriate if long-
27 > term stability is what they're after.
28
29 IMO Gentoo's edge was not about having the most cutting edge software
30 (pun not intended), but rather "having a choice". With Gentoo, you get
31 to choose which USE-flag to (not) include; you got to choose the kernel
32 options and also to use genkernel; then you've got a choice to run a
33 antiquated, full-stable, half-stable, ~arch, or overlay; you are free to
34 choose how antiquated or cutting edge you want your system to be. And
35 Gentoo's portage makes living the picky eater's life much easier than if
36 you have to compile packages and its dependencies manually to separate
37 the vegetables (or meats if you're a vegetarian; or pork if you're a
38 Muslim; or cows if you're a Hindi; or whatever taboo or personal
39 distrust you have).
40
41 For me, I run a mostly stable system and unmasks a few packages that I
42 used most frequently since those are the software that I have the time
43 to test thoroughly since I work with them all the time. I've been
44 running a python 3 overlay (very unstable at that time), but I'm not
45 willing to run a full ~arch since most of those software I don't use
46 often enough anyway.