From: Paul Jewell <paul@×××××.org>
To: "gentoo-amd64@l.g.o" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: USB Scanner Problems with Newer Kernels/Libusb [Solved]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:14:18
1 Sent from my iPhone
2
3 > On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:18, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > Frank Peters wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 19:53:02 -0600
8 >> Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
9 >>
10 >> I just want to add a parting shot to this thread.
11 >>
12 >> I have several scanners and laser printers, all USB, that have not
13 >> been supported under Microsoft Windows for some time. No MS drivers are
14 >> available for these devices. On various MS Windows forums many people
15 >> ask in vain about obtaining such drivers.
16 >>
17 >> But under Linux all my scanners and printers continue to work without
18 >> problem, and most likely will continue to work for many years to come.
19 >>
20 >> This just underscores the difference between proprietary and open source
21 >> software.
22 >
23 > Yeah, but don't forget to mention the other side of the coin. I had the case
24 > where my new USB printer/scanner did not work under Linux (at least the
25 > scanning part) while if worked flawlessly under Windows. 6 months later the
26 > support for the scanner finally arrived. Thanks to the community - no
27 > complaints, but it can be annoying if your new hardware is simply not yet
28 > Linux ready...
29 >
30 > - Jörg
33 I still prefer the Linux situation. Aware of the risk you identify, I check for Linux capability before buying new equipment. Support some time soon, is better than support never, or worse still support being dropped.
34
35 Don't even start me on apple and AirPrint printers (now happily emulated on a raspberry pi here for my wife's iPad).....
36
37 Paul