From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] system locks up after update
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:05:16
1 After the last round of updates, which was mostly Qt & gtk+ my system
2 has been locking up after a while. On the last occasion I had 'top'
3 running & it showed nothing unusual.
4
5 It was mind blowingly difficult to install/rebuild gtk+ as configure
6 said pango was not installed,
7 & continued to say that after pango was remerged. I eventually had to
8 remerge cairo, openal, & some others before it would install.
9
10 After about 5 forced poweroffs & reboots after freezes, my bzImage
11 gave CRC error & would not boot. I built another kernel (2.6.26 gentoo
12 r4 from memory). This fixed numerous other problems I have been
13 having, however the system still locked up.
14
15 During the freeze I can still move the cursor around but not select
16 anything & the keyboard does nothing.
17
18 I'm going to start looking at memory tests and hard drive tests.
19
20 I've never had this problem before & I don't really know how to track
21 it down, other then by ruling out 1 thing at a time.
22
23 I had the system up in single user mode for quite a long time, while
24 building the kernel config & looking up kernel settings on a windows
25 computer (which I'm using now). As soon as I start X/KDE its only a
26 few mniutes before it hangs,
27 so I suspect a bug in Qt, since it was the main upgrade.