From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 3200+ -> X2 4000+
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:51:00
1 2007/7/5, Fernando Boaglio <boaglio@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > Thanks a lot guys, I love this place, I always learn something new =)
4 >
5 > Anyway, switching only the processor : 3200+ to X2 4000 and keeping
6 > the same machine (Asus A8V Deluxe + HD IDE 2x80Gb + 2Gb RAM + GeForce
7 > 7600GS) how much improvement should I expect ?
8 >
9 > I'm a developer, I keep running databases, IDEs like Eclipse, P2P
10 > tools (Azureus, amule) , aMSN and watching my favorite series with
11 > kplayer, like Lost, Supernatural,The 4400 :P
14 for what i can tell of these thigs, you should have about 5-10 watts of
15 power consumption save, and about 20% of prestation gain.... the great
16 prestation gain you'll have when you compile, as that is the most killing
17 process.... th amsn, p2p, kplayer and working eclipse (not compiling one)
18 are not processor killers.... the db is not a great processor killer, but
19 having a better processor should surely help.... i think that you should
20 have thinked of upgrading the disks also and to put a sata-II/raid or a
21 scsi/raid disk for dbs and the system and to have the other 2 ata disks on
22 lvm/raid for the other thigs you're doing.... for someone like you the raid
23 is a must, or you'll risk losing important stuff.... also i'd advice to have
24 an external disk to backup the very important material just in case.... the
25 external disk now is very cheap, and i see that your mb has the
26 sata-i/raid-1 support so you'll only need to buy one sata disk, that is
27 hasn't a great cost....
28
29 []'s
30 > Fernando Boaglio