From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] dma?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:58:19
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:58:04AM +0100, Gavin Seddon wrote:
2 > Yes,
3 > I tried this and,
4 > ' hdparm -d1 -X /dev/hda
5 >
6 > /dev/hda:
7 > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
8 > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
9 > setting xfermode to 0 (default PIO mode)
10 > using_dma = 0 (off)
11 > linuxstation mbpssgms # whoami
12 > root'
13
14 That most likely means you are missing the proper IDE driver in your
15 kernel and the system has defaulted back to the "generic" IDE driver.
16 What you want to do is use "/usr/sbin/lspic" to determine which IDE
17 chipset you have in the system and make sure that you have the
18 correct driver compilied in the kernel.
19
20 As an example, I have an older Dell with the following IDE chipset
21 (output from lspci):
22 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
23
24 So in the kernel config I have the following options:
25
26 Device Drivers --->
27
28 ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --->
29
30 <*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
31 <*> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
32 <*> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
33 [*] Use multi-mode by default
34 <M> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
35 [*] PCI IDE chipset support
36 [*] Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
37 [*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
38 [*] Use PCI DMA by default when available
39 <*> Intel PIIXn chipsets support
40
41 The last three options are the most important for getting DMA to work on
42 the dirve, and the last option will vary based on the chipset in your
43 system.
44
45 Brett
46 --