From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: revdep broken x11-drivers/ati-drivers net-nds/openldap
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:02:33
1 "Daiajo Tibdixious" <daiajo@×××××.com> posted
2 a4a9bfcb0701301537h3bf84b89wbea47bf769e793ce@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:37:05 +1100:
4
5 >>> This case is probably an example of one of the issues with
6 >>> revdep-rebuild, or more precisely with binary-only packages you may
7 >>> choose to run.
8 >
9 > I know it freaks on firefox-bin. I resent that "choose" to run, as its
10 > only ignorance at work here, are you saying openldap is binary? AFAIK I
11 > don't have any binary packages any more.
12
13 No. I was still talking about the ATI video drivers still. As with
14 Nvidia, the driver has some open code but some closed binary-only code as
15 well. I dealt with openldap (to the limited degree I could) further down,
16 below where I quoted your mention of it.
17
18 >> Revdep-rebuild sees and scans the shared libraries, and doesn't know
19 >> when they are part of a binary-only package. Naturally, you can remerge
20 >> the binary-only package all day and if it was built against a library
21 >> not on your system, it's not going to help one bit.
22 >
23 > Yeah, I figured that out with firefox-bin, how does it apply here?
24
25 I'm assuming some of the binary-only ATI video driver shared libraries are
26 linked against something you don't have on the system. If so, it'll be
27 difficult to fix since you can't just recompile them, the ebuild just
28 remerges the same binary stuff each time so it doesn't help.
29
30 >>> Newer revdep-rebuild versions have a way to configure it to ignore
31 >>> certain packages.
32 >
33 > I'm used to ignoring revdep-rebuild. :) Especially I ignore the packages
34 > to be rebuilt, its great for detecting broken linkage but lousy (in my
35 > limited experience) at fixing them.
36
37 I've had better luck with it, but that may be simply due to the fact that
38 I keep up pretty closely with ~arch, updating twice a week to daily,
39 keep the system generally cruft free, don't run anything binary-only (with
40 a single exception, the close to a decade and a half old now 1993 original
41 Master of Orion, tho at least I run it on from-source DOSBOX)
42
43 >>> standard gripe about slaveryware here, but it's your system, not mine,
44 >>> so you get to choose what you run and I'd not deny you that right,
45 >>> regardless of how much I gripe.)
46 >
47 > I'd rather not have slaveryware either. My son has a Win XP Home which I
48 > use for that. :(
49
50 If I were to be a gamer, I expect I'd run a Wii for my proprietary/gaming
51 stuff and still wouldn't install anything binary-only on my computer.
52
53 If you aren't using the 3D stuff on your video card anyway, you may wish
54 to see if the native xorg driver will run it. It doesn't run the newest
55 chips, but it does thru the ATI r300 series chips now in 3D and beyond
56 that in 2D, I believe. Again, it's your system, and I'd not tell you what
57 you had to run even if I could, but if the native will work for what you
58 do with the system, it's /definitely/ less hassle. I know I got /so/
59 tired of dealing with Nvidia's drivers (which I had to use at the time, as
60 the native ones didn't handle the second video output on the card and I
61 was multi-monitor, before I actually switched to Linux, when I got the
62 card, I knew enough to ensure twinview worked in Linux, which I planned
63 to switch to, but didn't realize there were closed drivers at the time,
64 so made a purchase decision I regretted badly after I actually switched
65 to Linux and learned the hassle it meant) and was /so/ glad to get off it
66 and get an ATI Radeon with full native support.
67
68 >>> > openldap
69 >>
70 >>> Did you try rebuilding [] anything else that might
71 >
72 > I removed it, put it back by --usepkg and rebuild, several times.
73 > kdebase is pulling it in, amoung other things: # equery depends -d
74 > openldap [ Searching for packages depending on openldap... ]
75 > dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-r1
76 > app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.6
77 > app-crypt/gnupg-1.9.21
78 > net-misc/curl-7.15.1-r1
79 > net-misc/openssh-4.5_p1
80 > kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r1
81 >
82 > hmm, made a lier out of myself. I haven't rebuilt any of these.
83
84 One of those apparently still depends on the old ldap library.
85
86 >> BTW2, I'm a KDE guy myself but have (some of) the split packages
87 >> merged, not monolithic (as I think I mentioned before).
88 >
89 > I've wondered about that, going split sound like it might be less
90 > trouble, I'll look into it.
91
92 I do it for a couple reasons.
93
94 1) When there's a security update or the like, as long as it's not kdelibs
95 (where the monolithic package is used in both cases), it's usually just
96 one or two packages out of the big monolithic package I'd otherwise have
97 to rebuild, so those sorts of between-KDE version upgrades go MUCH faster,
98
99 2) It allows me to pick and choose the packages I actually use. For
100 instance, I don't have a handheld, so I don't need all those packages out
101 of kdepim, but I DO run kmail, so I have it and its support merged --
102 but without the handheld junk I'd be spending all that time compiling for
103 nothing if I ran the monolithic package. Of course, that means that
104 security updates or the like for packages I don't have merged don't
105 force a recompile of the whole big thing either -- I don't have to worry
106 about them since I don't have them merged! =8^)
107
108 All that said, there's one negative as well. When the packages are split,
109 that means most of what was the single ./configure step in the monolithic
110 package now gets run many times, once for each of the split packages.
111 If you just merge kde now, and do the exact parallel with kde-meta, thus
112 merging /all/ the packages in the monolithic, it takes much longer to do
113 full KDE version upgrades, because of all that duplicated ./configure work.
114 Thus, unless you know there are a number of packages you definitely don't
115 use and can therefore skip merging, it may be best to stick with the
116 monolithics.
117
118 In my case, there are whole swatches of several of the monolithics that I
119 don't use at all and would prefer not to have on the system (can't cause
120 security or admin issues if they aren't there!), so the extra time spent
121 in the duplicated ./configure steps during the merge is more or less
122 canceled out by the number of packages I don't merge at all, and it takes
123 about the same time for the full KDE version upgrades, while taking much
124 less time for security updates and the like, AND avoiding all that extra
125 cruft on the system, so the split packages are a definite net positive
126 for me even with that negative. As I said, tho, it wouldn't be nearly as
127 clear-cut for those simply merging kde-meta instead of kde, and I'm not
128 sure I'd recommend it unless you DO plan on using the splits to skip a
129 number of individual packages you aren't interested in.
130
131 >> you have on that I have off. You don't happen to have the the ldap USE
132 >> flag on, do you? It doesn't sound like you'd be using it. It's off
133 >> here.
134 >>
135 > Its not present.
136
137 I just checked... the kdebase monolithic package does indeed have an ldap
138 USE flag. It looks like the split package that pulls it in is
139 kdebase-kioslaves, which has the flag as well. Looking at the ebuild, the
140 openldap dependency is indeed conditional on the ldap flag. Since I have
141 -ldap, I skipped that dependency.
142
143 If you don't have -ldap, the profile is probably setting +ldap for you.
144 Yes, I just checked, it's turned on by default in
145 $PORTDIR/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2006.1/desktop in any case, so
146 probably is in other similar profiles as well.
147
148 If you don't need ldap, which you probably don't unless you are part of a
149 corporate network that uses it or deliberately set it up on your home
150 network, I'd suggest setting -ldap in make.conf, thus overriding the
151 profile. An emerge -N world should then remerge anything that uses that
152 USE flag, and hopefully kill all your dependencies on it, allowing you to
153 unmerge it and not worry about it any more. A quick check on the packages
154 you listed says they all have the ldap USE flag, so indeed, one presumes
155 toggling it off and remerging them will remove that dependency.
156
157 > Anyway, I'm happy now, I'll just ignore the broken links, since I'm not
158 > using them. I'll put up with it & hope the next version of openldap is
159 > more consistent.
160
161 I don't like ignoring such things if I don't have to, and it shouldn't be
162 necessary except on binary packages. If you're not using openldap anyway,
163 the above should remove it as a dependency, after which you can unmerge it
164 and cure the problem. =8^)
169 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
172 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list