From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Fwd: [install] emerge gentoo-sources fails
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:03:43
1 "Martin Herrman" <martin@×××××××.nl> posted
2 40bb8d3b0810201037q75b3cb5dkaf16b5a6a5f5dd73@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:37:15 +0200:
4
5 > I came up with the idea that maybe burning the iso image to CD has
6 > failed, so I downloaded the iso again and... discovered that I was using
7 > 2008.0 instead of 2008.0-r1.. So I downloaded the latest one, burned it
8 > on CD and started the install again. Emerging the kernel sources now
9 > works :-)
10
11 Hmm... I hadn't thought of a bad ISO image or burn. I guess I take it
12 for granted that people verify the md5 and/or gpg sig. I know I always
13 do on such downloads. (Portage of course verifies ebuilds and tarballs,
14 tho AFAIK not the eclasses or profiles.)
15
16 I'm glad the -r1 worked for you, tho. FWIW, since Gentooers generally
17 incrementally update, those LiveCDs and stages don't always get as well
18 tested as they should. Particularly the LiveCDs, since people can
19 install from other Linux instead (as I did, back in 2004).
20
21 FWIW, I'm going to be doing an install of my own pretty soon. AA1 (Acer
22 Aspire One) netbook. But I plan to create an image on my main machine
23 (dual dual-core Opteron, 8 gigs RAM, 4-way kernel/md RAID, yada yada,
24 obviously the one I want to compile on compared to the puny netbook) and
25 more or less just copy it over. So I'll be using a LiveCD (actually
26 LiveThumbdrive) of some sort, maybe Gentoo's maybe something else, to do
27 the partitioning and copying, but build the stuff to copy from x86 stages
28 on my existing amd64 machine, in a 32-bit chroot.
29
30 Once that (relatively mild) challenge is conquered, I'm /contemplating/
31 (but haven't really looked into yet) a /real/ challenge, cross-compiling
32 Gentoo to run on my Linksys WRT54GL router (200 MHz mipsel, 4 meg flash,
33 16 meg ram, tho there's a hardware mod to add an sdcard for several gigs
34 of (removable) storage that I'm looking at), currently running OpenWrt.
35 OpenWrt is nice and has a lot of flexibility... but it has been /years/
36 since I used that sort of init system, and I just like the idea of having
37 Gentoo on it. =:^) Obviously, that'd be a cross-compile from my main
38 machine as well, tho equally obviously, it'd be a /much/ slimmed down
39 version I actually installed, and I'd not be worried about compiling
40 everything and its brother to run on it, narrowing the challenge a bit.
41
42 > I have used slackware, redhat, mandrake and debian before (in that
43 > order) and about 2 years ago switched to Ubuntu because it was so easy
44 > to use. But it's also bloated (it is even hard to compile your own
45 > kernel) and that's why I started to use Gentoo 2 months ago on my
46 > notebook. I liked it (compared to FreeBSD: that ports system is
47 > documented so badly..)!
48
49 Interesting. There's a BSD guy on my ISP's (Cox) newsgroups that keeps
50 telling me how much better they are. Philosophically I'm a copyleft guy,
51 so the BSDs don't so interest me, but it's interesting to hear the other
52 side of the story after seeing his pro-BSD comments for so long. FWIW,
53 there's a Gentoo/FBSD alternative if you're interested in that sort of
54 thing. It's basically Gentoo's ebuild system on a FBSD kernel. AFAIK,
55 you can either go GNU userspace and just run the FBSD kernel, or run
56 mainly FBSD, but with the prefix portage and packages and its basic GNU
57 dependencies (bash, and there may be other GNU dependencies as well, I'm
58 not sure) as an alternative packaging system, not replacing the main FBSD
59 system. There are similar Gentoo-prefix ports in various stages of
60 maturity for OSX and I believe OpenSolaris, among others.
61
62 > I plan to compile my own kernel (as I did years ago before using
63 > ubuntu), but are currently using genkernel to have my system at least
64 > running well. When install is finished, I will configure the kernel on
65 > my own.
66
67 That makes sense. When I did it, I just figured why go to the trouble of
68 figuring out genkernel, when I already knew how to do my own kernels, so
69 that's what I did, bypassed genkernel entirely, and did my own kernel.
70 For the first year or so tho, I continued to use the Mandrake lilo
71 bootloader (binary simply copied over to my Gentoo install), as grub
72 wasn't yet popular when I started on Mandrake and I didn't learn it until
73 some time after I was on Gentoo, but lilo wasn't yet available on Gentoo
74 64-bit.
75
76 Gentoo's nice for those that like to tweak and don't like the bloat of
77 most binary distributions but want the packages the thin ones don't
78 have. But the first install to a system (even if it's your second or
79 more system with Gentoo) can be a monster!
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman