From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Skype doesn't work as user
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:41:15
1 Luigi Pinna posted <200511191923.28403.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:23:24 +0100:
3
4 > I tried to use skype but it doesn't work
5 > If I use it as root I read it from console:
6 > skype
7 > No running artsd or esd found
8 > Starting skype without sound daemon
9 > ==========================================
10 > and it works.
11 > If I use my user (root is only in a root console, no root session), I
12 > read:
13 > skype
14 > Running artsd found
15 > Starting artsd wrapped skype
16 > ==========================================
17 > Running wrapped Skype failed, trying not-wrapped mode...
18 > ==========================================
19 > and the program doesn't work!
20
21 What desktop are you running, KDE? If so, are you using the ARTS sound
22 daemon or not? Anything else (KDE's sound effects??) accessing sound at
23 the same time? What are the ownership and permissions on your sound
24 device (/dev/sound/dsp and/or /dev/snd/pcm)?
25
26 As a user, Skype seems to be configured to try playing thru ARTS first.
27 When that fails, it tries playing direct to the sound device. The thing
28 is that if ARTS or a similar sound daemon (ESD?) is running, it'll grab
29 exclusive use of the sound device, and nothing else will be able to use
30 it, even if it would be capable of sharing it otherwise. That's why it
31 tries thru ARTS -- if it's running it can't access the hardware directly
32 anyway.
33
34 The problem could also be one of permissions, if your user isn't in the
35 audio group, or the devices have non-standard permissions or ownership.
36 (It could also be PAM and console permissions, if they are activated, but
37 Gentoo doesn't activate PAM's console.perms by default any more, due to
38 the frustration and bugs it tended to raise when things didn't work as
39 expected, and because there were than actually three places to check
40 permissions, devfs/UDEV, the devices themselves, and PAM. Without PAM,
41 there's only two.)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
47 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list