From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Skype doesn't work as user
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:41:15
Luigi Pinna posted <200511191923.28403.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:23:24 +0100:

> I tried to use skype but it doesn't work > If I use it as root I read it from console: > skype > No running artsd or esd found > Starting skype without sound daemon > ========================================== > and it works. > If I use my user (root is only in a root console, no root session), I > read: > skype > Running artsd found > Starting artsd wrapped skype > ========================================== > Running wrapped Skype failed, trying not-wrapped mode... > ========================================== > and the program doesn't work!
What desktop are you running, KDE? If so, are you using the ARTS sound daemon or not? Anything else (KDE's sound effects??) accessing sound at the same time? What are the ownership and permissions on your sound device (/dev/sound/dsp and/or /dev/snd/pcm)? As a user, Skype seems to be configured to try playing thru ARTS first. When that fails, it tries playing direct to the sound device. The thing is that if ARTS or a similar sound daemon (ESD?) is running, it'll grab exclusive use of the sound device, and nothing else will be able to use it, even if it would be capable of sharing it otherwise. That's why it tries thru ARTS -- if it's running it can't access the hardware directly anyway. The problem could also be one of permissions, if your user isn't in the audio group, or the devices have non-standard permissions or ownership. (It could also be PAM and console permissions, if they are activated, but Gentoo doesn't activate PAM's console.perms by default any more, due to the frustration and bugs it tended to raise when things didn't work as expected, and because there were than actually three places to check permissions, devfs/UDEV, the devices themselves, and PAM. Without PAM, there's only two.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Skype doesn't work as user Luigi Pinna <mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Skype doesn't work as user Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org