From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to rescue to lost ext3 partition ??
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:23:30
1 On Tuesday 15 August 2006 22:37, jai kumar wrote:
2
3 > But I have no clue for how to get back my gentoo partition. Is there any
4 > way to rescue that parition?
5
6 You could try googling for partition recovery tools. Some of them will let
7 you recover files from a lost partition and save them somewhere else; then
8 you can re-create the partition and copy the files back in.
9
10 On a more general point, I used to swear by PartitionMagic; nowadays I swear
11 at it. It suffers from the usual Windows philosophy that users are not to
12 be trusted to know anything, and that it knows best what to do. So if, for
13 instance, I copy a partition to a spare disk as backup, and later copy it
14 back to its original place, PM goes and finds all the partitions with
15 an /etc/fstab and changes all the partition numbers it finds there.
16 Naturally, the system then won't boot until I find the damage and fix it.
17
18 Recently I found a nifty little 60GB USB disk; I use tar to back my
19 partitions up to that now. Slow, but it feels safe and reliable, which PM
20 has ceased doing.
23 Rgds
24 Peter
25 --