From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Seamonkey vs Mozilla cage match round two
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:28:44
1 felix@×××××××.com posted 20061119004207.GA16779@×××××××.com, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:42:07 -0800:
3
4 > I will have to stop using it someday, and I won't bother with an overlay.
5 > But last time I tried seamonkey it was unstable unreliable junk. What I
6 > want to understand is why seamonkey and mozilla can't coexist. They have
7 > different names, but even if they didn't, there are slots for apache and
8 > apache2, as many different kernels as you could possibly want, and ...
9 > mozilla and seamonkey conflict with each other. Why?
10
11 The reason mozilla and seamonkey can't coexist is because seamonkey is a
12 replacement for mozilla. Everything's being converted to depend on
13 seamonkey due to mozilla's lack of support upstream, and open bugs
14 including security bugs. mozilla is on its way out of the tree, so it's
15 useless doing the additional work to make it and its config coexist with
16 seamonkey.
17
18 Basically, you have to make a choice here. You can:
19
20 1) choose to standardize on firefox, biting the bullet in terms of what
21 you dislike about it, and set the firefox flag where you want gecko based
22 support.
23
24 2) bite the bullet on seamonkey instability and standardize on it. FWIW
25 as an outsiders opinion (I prefer khtml based konqueror and don't have
26 any gecko based software installed, not because I have anything against
27 it, just because that's less to keep updated when I'd not use it much
28 anyway), I've seen no evidence that seamonkey is as bad for others as you
29 are reporting, which seems to indicate that at least part of the problem
30 is your system configuration -- with it following that some of the problem
31 is under your control and it's possible for you to solve at least part of
32 it, if you choose to do so and work hard enough at it. This won't be an
33 easy choice as you'll have a lot of work to do tracing down the issues and
34 solving them -- and living with the bugs meanwhile, but it's a choice you
35 have. FWIW, the bugginess should taper off medium term, making this
36 choice easier by then, while maintaining its higher personal satisfaction
37 rating.
38
39 3) decide to maintain mozilla, plus everything that you have merged from
40 the tree that depended on it, in your own overlay (or find one maintained
41 by someone else), doing the necessary work to compatibility backport as
42 long as you choose to maintain the overlay. This may be fairly easy now,
43 but it will get harder and more complicated the longer you continue to
44 maintain it.
45
46 4) a mix of the above on a case by case basis, probably emphasizing 1 and
47 2, using /etc/portage/package.use to set the appropriate use flags for
48 individual packages.
49
50 Of the four choices, 1, firefox, will be the easiest, since it's closest
51 to majority/mainstream and you haven't indicated any issues save for the
52 limited options it gives you. 2, seamonkey, will be harder, but likely
53 be the best fit and yield the most satisfaction long term, unless you
54 choose to go with 4, case-by-case-basis.
55
56 As it's your system, the choice is yours. I don't believe any of us would
57 choose to make it for you even if we could =8^), but those are your
58 available choices laid out as I see them. Hopefully, this has been
59 helpful in clarifying the issues you face and the choices available to
60 you. That has been the object, anyway. =8^)
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
68 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list