From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages (cannot force install of "-*" GCC4)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:11:13
1 Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > My situation is the following:
3 > - I'm aware of the diferences.
4 > - I'm used to recurring to gcc-config for switching between compiler
5 > versions.
6 > - I'm a software developer and _need_ gcc4 for development & testing my
7 > project's code (I for one, need to have gcc4 to make shure my code is gcc4
8 > compatible :) )
9 > - I'm aware of /etc/portage/package.* files, and respective man pages :)
10 > - The machine is a testing machine, has to be kind of stable, but I allready
11 > hand pick a couple of ~amd64 (cmucl, sbcl, java, gcc ..some others).
12
13 You know, if this were my situation, I'd probably try installing gcc4
14 in /usr/local, following the instructions that come with gcc. I think
15 that is the least likely way to cause grief in my work. I would test
16 my software with that compiler, but without having to worry about how
17 it fits into my OS.
21 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
22 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
23 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
24 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)