From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages (cannot force install of "-*" GCC4)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:11:13
Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com> skribis:
> My situation is the following: > - I'm aware of the diferences. > - I'm used to recurring to gcc-config for switching between compiler > versions. > - I'm a software developer and _need_ gcc4 for development & testing my > project's code (I for one, need to have gcc4 to make shure my code is gcc4 > compatible :) ) > - I'm aware of /etc/portage/package.* files, and respective man pages :) > - The machine is a testing machine, has to be kind of stable, but I allready > hand pick a couple of ~amd64 (cmucl, sbcl, java, gcc ..some others).
You know, if this were my situation, I'd probably try installing gcc4 in /usr/local, following the instructions that come with gcc. I think that is the least likely way to cause grief in my work. I would test my software with that compiler, but without having to worry about how it fits into my OS. -- Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush (