From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:26:12
1 this one breaks your firefox!!!!
2 Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible
3 npwrapper.nphelix.so
4 remove helix and use xine in its place for the apps that are using it. also
5 remove all real player apps, and build win32codecs with real flag, and then
6 install the mplayerplug-in. you cannot use helix-real with
7 firefox-64>1.5versions for what i know.
8 as for flash, sometimes it breaks and you need to restart firefox. the right
9 way to use flash on 64bit is to have that tab the only one that is accessing
10 internet from the browser, that flash has unlimited disk space and that you
11 don't use intesively your disk. if you happen to see a blank screen reload
12 the page. when you see a white page without the video then flash has broken
13 and you need to restart firefox. this happens usually after 30-40mins of
14 flash using, or after 2 hours of firefox open (also no flash use) or also
15 just after starting firefox. this is a little unpredictable, for what i've
16 experienced.
17 as for the .mozilla dir, clear everything with ctrl+shift+del, then save
18 your bookmarks and settings and delete the .mozilla dir. after that you
19 restart firefox and it should work well.
20 now i can figure out a little about why the bin failed: it had 32bit and
21 64bit plugins (the vlc and maybe mplayerplug-in) which broke it. if you want
22 to use firefox 32 bit, then compile mplayer, mplayer plugin for 32bit and
23 remove vlc from the plugins for 32bit.
24 as for java, i'll document a little, and try to see what i'm missing too,
25 since i cannot see the java plugin installed.
26
27 STATUS:
28 >
29 > 1) Firefox crashing - Possibly fixed. Thanks!
30 >
31 > 2) Flash video - gray box. This is what I'd like to solve first if
32 > possible.
33 >
34 > 3) Java - not seen by the browser. Have done very little work on it
35 > yet but building a little on Jeffery's idea I tried to do it with the
36 > currently installed version of Java:
37 >
38 > lightning ~ # slocate libjavaplugin_oji.so
39 > /opt/emul-linux-x86-java-1.6.0.03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
40 > /opt/emul-linux-x86-java-1.6.0.03
41 > /plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
44 i'll try symlinking it in the plugin dir and see what happens. i'll let you
45 know what happens.
48 > So I have no .mozilla/plugins directory to build the link. I tried
49 > adding a plugins directory and creating a link as shown but the
50 > Prophet web site still says no Java.
53 there is the one in /usr. i just have to search for it and fix it.
60 dott. ing. beso