From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] cant boot off sata disk
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 02:11:38
1 On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Barry Schwartz
5 >> <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >> > (When I had a machine dual-booting to MSDOS and Slackware, I used the
7 >> > DOS MBR and wrote LILO into the boot record of a Linux partition.)
8 >>
9 >> When I dual-booted OS/2 and Slackware, I installed LILO to a floppy
10 >> disk. Floppy in drive at boot = linux, floppy ejected = OS/2. :)
11 >
12 > At first I used floppy, according to the installation instructions,
13 > but this was slow and so then for a few years I booted into MSDOS and
14 > then ran whatever the kernel-loader for DOS was called.  After some
15 > experience with LILO at work I switched over to LILO.
16
17 loadlin? something like that. The good old days. :)
18
19 I stuck with LILO up until about 2 years ago. I finally gave in and
20 switched to grub and never looked back... I should have done it long
21 ago.