From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:23:51
1 On Friday 14 September 2007, Jordi Molina wrote:
2
3 > On 9/14/07, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > Except that now, instead of being asked for a password, I'm asked
5 > > for the pass-phrase that belongs to the ssh key.
6 >
7 > Create it w/o passphrase.
8 >
9 > It's not a big security risk, just ensure that the access of the user
10 > in the fw machine has restrictive access over its home and that it
11 > can't su/sudo to root.
12 >
13 > Any backup application that sends data unattendedly will have the same
14 > security concerns, from my point of view it'ld be senseless to start
15 > now a discussion about this, again.
16
17 Or, you can use keychain.
18 Read these articles for a good introduction to keychain (and ssh key
19 management):
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/openssh-key-management-p1.xml
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/openssh-key-management-p2.xml