From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: arts
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 01:04:50
Alexey Maslennikov posted
<200507090210.07611.alexey.maslennikov@×××××.com>, excerpted below,  on
Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:10:02 +0300:

> As far as I remember, /dev/dsp is only used with OSS. In case you use > ALSA, it is created by OSS emulation. Possibly OSS emulation modules are > not loaded. Module names are something like snd_*_oss. > > P.S. I can be very wrong about it.
(Without looking,) I believe you're quite right, actually, tho I never track exactly which devices are ALSA and which are OSS, so you /might/ have that reversed. I always run ALSA with OSS emulation in the kernel, so get both. With Gentoo's default udev configuration, based on devfs, one set is created in /dev/snd/, the other in /dev/sound/, with symlinks from /dev/ to the devices in both subdirs as necessary, I just never remember which is OSS and which is ALSA. If I had to, I'd look it up. The quickest way would be to check the (commented) /etc/udev/rules.d/* file(s). The ALSA section there is presented separately from the OSS section, so looking at that, it's easy to figure out which is which. As to whether they exist or not at any particular moment, that will depend on several possible configuration details, such as whether you've compiled the drivers as modules or built-in, and whether you have the alsa or coldplug (or oss, for those not running alsa) initscripts set to run in your current runlevel (also on whether you have the init set to use the tarball or not, I have that turned off and the only devices in my static /dev are /dev/null and /dev/console, if udev fails, so I'd know it pretty fast!). Here, I don't run alsa at bootup, but I do run coldplug as part of initlevel 2 (nonet, my default) and 3 (normal default). I have the drivers compiled in, so coldplug triggers udev to load the device nodes. I never /do/ run the alsa script, as what coldplug does is enough to have sound in KDE/X, and I don't use it at the console if KDE/X isn't running. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list