From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: iconify vs minimise
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:41:04
1 Gavin Seddon posted <1140358032.9522.10.camel@linuxstation>, excerpted
2 below, on Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:07:12 +0000:
3
4 > I think this is a 'lame' question but I'm sure others would like to know
5 > this. When I minimise applications in kde they go to the taskbar whereas
6 > in windowmaker they form icons. This is actually better if one has alot
7 > of things going at once and it negates many desktops running for different
8 > apps. This is an excellent feature of IRIX where I first came across
9 > this. Does anyone know how to enable this in kde? I have looked on
10 > google and I saw hints this may be a feature of KDE 3.5. Is this true?
11
12 KDE (I'm running 3.5, which is ~amd64, but the features are in older
13 versions also) has several possible methods of handling minimized apps.
14 It's up to you to configure one that suits your style, if the default
15 doesn't.
16
17 First of all, the taskbar is simply a kicker applet. You can move it to
18 extension panels or choose not to have a taskbar at all. As with any such
19 applet, simply right click on the little "applet handle" to the left of
20 the applet, and choose remove, if that's what you want to do.
21
22 In addition to the taskbar, there are several other alternatives as well.
23
24 One is simply not using a list, and using alt-tab (or whatever alternative
25 hotkey you may have configured) to switch applications. If you hold down
26 the alt and release the tab, it will keep the popup list in place so you
27 can see what's there and then hit the tab again (while still holding the
28 alt) to get to it. Note that it's possible to configure KDE to only show
29 the tasks on whatever desktop you are on, if you are running multiples,
30 or to show apps from them all. This is configured under Window Behavior,
31 Focus tab, Navigation. If you have it configured to show only apps on
32 your current desktop, you may find it particularly convenient to enable
33 the scrollwheel over desktop changes desktops option. This one is found
34 in Multiple Desktop configuration (kcontrol), and allows you to change
35 desktops with the scrollwheel over the desktop (not while over an app, in
36 which case the scrollwheel applies to it, of course).
37
38 Right clicking on a kicker applet handle (or on an empty space or on some
39 but not all applets) and choosing the panel submenu, there's a submenu for
40 "add new panel". Within this submenu are two choices having to do with
41 managing windows. Kasbar is pretty close to what you asked for, an icon
42 based interface. If you don't like where it gets added or its behavior,
43 as usual, it's configurable. You can configure it to display only one
44 icon for multiple instances of an application, which will popup a list of
45 them if clicked, or a separate icon for each. As usual, you can drag the
46 bar to another side and configure it for always-on-top, autohide, or
47 whatever, as desired. There are a few other config options as well.
48
49 The second window lister panel extension is "external taskbar", which is
50 pretty much what the name says. The advantage of having a dedicated
51 taskbar panel is that you can configure it separately from your other
52 panels.
53
54 There are yet other alternatives as well. It's possible to configure
55 left/middle/right-click on the desktop to popup the windowlist. If you
56 regularly minimize windows and don't like a taskbar or Kasbar, and the
57 alt-tab interface isn't enough for you, this may just fit the bill. The
58 option is available under Desktop Behavior (from kcontrol or I believe the
59 default right click on the desktop, Configure Desktop), General tab.
60 Here, I have my middle button set to popup the windowlist.
61
62 If you are short on panel space but still like an option available on your
63 panel, the same windowlist is available as button, that can be added to
64 the panel. Again, right-click on the applet handle or an empty spot on
65 the panel near where you want the windowlist button, select panel config,
66 then add button and windowlist.
67
68 Finally, one more option is not minimizing at all, but rather, using
69 window-shade mode. In this mode, apps will roll-up like a window-shade to
70 just their titlebar. Personally, I find it a bit annoying, but I'd find
71 floating icons a bit annoying as well, and that's what you are asking for,
72 so you may like window-shading. That's why KDE allows all this
73 customization, because they recognize that not everyone wants stuff
74 working the same way. Under the window behavior configuration, Actions,
75 you can configure the behavior of a window if the titlebar is
76 double-clicked. MSWormOS behavior was to maximize and that's what I have
77 set here. If you like window-shade mode, however, you can set it to
78 toggle window-shade mode instead, among other available options.
79
80 So... many window management options to suit many different individual
81 styles... you pick what you want and customize KDE to work that way.
86 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
87 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
91 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list